Saturday, May 27, 2006

Our Way of Life Had A GREAT Price.

I would be amiss to not take time here to remind everyone of those who lost thier lives protecting us from our enemies. I'm sure each and everyone of them had "other" plans for their lives. I'm sure we lost many, many who under other circumstances would have led productive, happy long lives. Instead, they gave up thier lives so that WE could go on and do so. They placed themselves in danger, hoping to go home one day, but knowing there was a HUGE chance they would not.........and did not. It's so easy for those of us with comfortable busy everyday lives to forget that. It's not something I remember every day, I confess that. I have generations of military service in my family line but I have been blessed that they came home alive. I have had a family member in EVERY war our country has ever had..........and as far as I know, they all came home alive. Wounded and scarred, but alive. But I bet those family members who have lost someone to war feel differently. I bet they don't find it so easy to forget. They made a sacrifice. I have to share a mental memory I have which TRULY makes Memorial Day a Special Day not to be taken for granted. I'm sure you all have seen the movie, Saving Private Ryan. Do you remember how it started, the elder gentleman walking alone in front of his family at the graveyard to the graves of his fellow soldiers? Oh my gosh, here comes my tears. I went to the theater with my daughter to see that movie and when I sat and watched that part, I lost it and here is why. From behind, that gentleman looked just like my Dad and I remembered when we had gone to the museum in Wright Patterson and he was looking for the memorial to his battalon or whatever, I'm crying now and can't think. He walked wayyyyyyyyy ahead of us and looking anxiously for the slab that honored his "team". He found it and stood there over it and you could see the memories and the pride all over his face. You couldn't help but stand back instinctively and allow him his "time" with his "buddies". The ones who lived and came home but it was the ones who didn't that he was especially remembering. He would never speak much about them or the awful things he saw during both WW2 and the Korean War but there were some rare moments when he would share enough for me to know he lost his best friend.......and it was horrific for him. He lost many comrades. You REALLY want to see Memorial Day honored as it truly should be.............look into the faces of the veterans who lived to come home..........with them they brought the memories of those who didn't.........the honor they all deserve.........TAKE TIME EVERYDAY TO LOOK INTO THOSE FACES AND SAY THANK YOU...........we can't really tell those who sacrificed thank you but you know what? I think if you really want to honor those who died...........REALLY want to honor them.........HONOR THEIR FAMILIES AND BUDDIES.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wadical said...

It sickens me to see what Pensacola has turned Memorial Day into...Gay fest! Thousands upon thousands of gays and lesbians flock to our beaches every year for this holiday and....frolic...all gay like...waving not American Flags but rainbow flags. Getting drunk and going out of their way to publicly display their sexual promiscuity. Makes me want to vomit, that in this town, with such deep military roots, that's what Memorial Day has become. You say the word and that's what people think about. It's a holiday that normal people flee from around these parts. "Oh God, it's Memorial Day weekend...I'm staying indoors."

Pathetic.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

That TRULY, TRULY is very sad.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home