Saturday, July 22, 2006

NOW Is the Time!!!

Back in February of this year, my son-in-law went to India on a missionary trip. It has been a desire of his to become a full time missionary, just as it has been of my daughter's. That was one of the common bonds that brought them together. I will not lie and say it is something I necessarily desire for them and it's very selfish on my part. So far, it's not been something I have had to deal with except for this short trip to India. My daughter had gone to Guatemala years ago on a short missionary trip and has had the "bug" since then to become a full time missionary. One of the "stories" my son-in-law shared with us upon his return (he went with our pastor and one other man from our church) was when they visited the home of an elderly lady who was a Christian. Many of the village people came by to visit. One woman put her baby girl into Steven's lap and then begged him to please take her back with him. That the child had no hope there and her only hope would be if he could take her back with him. I know just hearing the story and seeing the picture of that darling child in his lap brought me to tears and broke my heart so I can only imagine what it must have been like to be there. How very, very hard it had to be to walk away. Steven came home and spoke to my daughter about the child and they came together and discussed it with me. They wanted to try to adopt her. I advised that they pray carefully about it but that if they truly wanted to and felt it was God's will that I would support them in all ways that I could. Unfortunately, the best we could do was see that the child was placed into a Christian "home" for children that were in need. The parents are able to visit and the children are able to go home but they sleep, are fed, clothed and taught at this "home". It's the best anyone can do to help these children at this point. I think of what it must be like for that mother. Oh my goodness, the thought of having to give up my child hurts me beyond belief. It wasn't because she lacked love, it was because she loved the child so much.......and how brave she was to do what she did. I thank God that there was another answer for her and although there is some separation, she still gets to see her child as often as she wants. She gets to watch her child grow up healthy and happy. Thinking about all of that I can't help but then think of how many people here in our country take so much for granted. The precious time they have with their children. Now don't get me wrong, we ALL have times when we want to wring thier necks and when we all need a break (I'm sure even this mother had those times too), that's not what I'm talking about. You know there use to be such a thing as the "family meal time". Some called it supper, other dinner. But at the end of the day, the family gathered together for a meal. All sat down at the dining room table or kitchen table, whatever the case may be and ate a meal together. No one got up from the table until all had finished. It was a time where the family came together and discussed the day or whatever. The meal always began with saying grace and no one began to eat until it was said. In most homes the father said it but sometimes the children would take turns. The food was passed around and plates were filled. It was a special time. There was no tv going, no radio going......just family talking and eating. Sunday mornings the family would prepare for church and go as a family unit. The day was spent together as a family. Now, everyone is going in different directions. How often is your tv actually turned off? Would your children know what to do with themselves without it? I'm an older woman and have raised my child and now living as a Mam-maw and loving every second of it. It makes me proud to see much of what I "put into" my child now being placed into my grandchild. I try to remind my daughter and son-in-law that a child also learns by what he/she sees. So what kind of example are we setting? No, I was not and am not the perfect parent........oh how I wish I had been. But you can not go back. I did do some things right but I messed up too. That hurts. So if I could just help even one parent see, today is important. What you do today, this second, is important and can not be taken back. Do you know what your child will remember? The things that make the biggest impressions. Will that be the good things or the bad? Will there be more good than bad for them to remember? I can not stress how important it is. Are you an active parent or one who is just too busy? Can you laugh and enjoy them as well as discipline? Is it easier to turn on the tv and watch, than it is to turn it off and interact with your children? How long has it been since you played a game as a family? Do you have "family time"? NOW is the time to begin if you don't. It may feel strange at first, but you will be sooooooooo glad you didn't let a little "feeling strange" stop you. If you don't believe me, try it. Again I say, NOW is the time.

5 Comments:

Blogger mysti said...

Hugs to you Aunt D. Yes you are right. Very right. I woke the other night in a complete sweat wondering what my children would remember growing up in our home. I hope to goodness they remember the times we have spent together more so then the times we have not. Going right now to turn off our T.V and am going to go play a family game. (((AuntD))) Thank you for the reminder.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

Hugs back at you!!! And you just gave your children a very positive memory......good for you!!!

3:48 PM  
Blogger WayneDawg said...

Right on Aunti, right on.

4:53 PM  
Blogger mysti said...

I just wanted to let you know that ever since reading this post I have been dreaming of those poor babies all over the world who need adopting. I mentioned it to my husband and we are seriously thinking someday of looking into adopting a child overseas.

I hope you have a good couple of weeks. My cousin is coming tomorrow with her son. I am so looking foward to seeing them and spending time with them.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful posts and comments you write!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

Thank you mysti and I hope you have the GREATEST time with your family. God bless you and your family!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home