Friday, July 14, 2006

We Are Being Watched

I was reading at another blog site last night and it just touched my heart so deeply and although it had nothing to do with this subject, in a way it did and it's where my mind lead me. People, we are being watched daily. I mean closely watched. Every move being analyzed. Yes, it's true. And we will one day "reap what we sow" concerning what is seen because what is seen and heard will affect the ones watching. I'm speaking of the children. Doesn't matter if you have any or not, whenever you are around any, they watch. They watch "grown ups" intently. And they mimic what they see. We parents and grandparents have the most accountability but don't think it stops there. Luke 17:2 "It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves." I did not have a very happy childhood. My parents stayed together until death so it was not because of a broken home. It was because of many reasons but one that was the hardest for me was how I would be punished for doing what I saw them do......I never understood that and still don't. Is not wrong, wrong???? I'm here to tell you that the line "Do as I say, not as I do" is a bunch of crock. Yes, there is a time when a child must learn to respect authority.......that is very important. You do it because I, as your parent, told you to period. But I am a firm believer that you have accomplished nothing if you do not make sure that child understands. LOL I remember my child telling me "Mom, please just spank me and don't talk to me." But you know what, I am watching her use the very talks she hated so much now to raise her own son. When you are out in public do you behave in a manner that will be uplifting and good for a child watching? Because I believe with all my heart, if you don't, the Good Lord is going to ask you about it one day. And I'm not just talking about your children. If you do something by behavior in a place where children can see, you will be held accountable. I believe that. Little minds are like sponges. Parents, if you do not encourage your children, if you do not "brag" on them, then who will? I don't mean to the point that you end up with a self centered child....there is a balance. My parents NEVER complimented me and if someone did in their presence, they ALWAYS made a point to say something negative about me that usually embarrassed me to no ends. Thus to this day I have a horrible time accepting compliments. In later life, my Dad explained that the reason they did that was so I wouldn't become vain. LOL Well, they certainly succeeded at that. You may think your child doesn't pay any attention to your words, but hon, they are soaking them up. Your words make more impression upon them than any other....I mean even more that thier piers, don't kid yourself. If you berate them, they are going to believe every word of it. You are helping to form a personality....a life. If you are a Christian, you need to walk that walk if you feel it is important for your children to be because they are going to go by your actions as well as your words. Adults are examples for children period. Children NEED love AND guidance AND examples. Are you having family devotions? Are you reading the Word daily? Are you having family prayers? Are you teaching how to know Jesus Christ? That personal relationship? What are your children seeing? If you are non-Christian, hey, your kids are still watching. If you fuss and fight in front of them and berate one another.......don't be shocked when they grow up and have the same kind of marriages. If you have a drinking problem or drug problem......you have opened the door and endangered your children to the same. If you smoke, again, you have opened that door to them. Sorry people, yes we all have free will but that does not mean we don't also have RESPONSIBILITY. The future generation, all of them, it's all of our responsibilities. Keep in mind, we are most definitely always being watched.

2 Comments:

Blogger mysti said...

Great Point. My husband and I try hard to be good examples for our children. It is not always easy I know, but it is something that has to be done. The last few years doing exactly what you have written in your post has been a challange. We are trying though. We pray together as a family. WE sit and have dinner together. We have family night and talks when we are able. Doing a devotional together has not been as easy. One would think it would, but finding a good devotional has been rather tricky. WE are working on that one though.

Great Post.

I would like to add you to my friend list if that would be alright?

Mysti

8:51 AM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

What an honor to me that would be!!! Thank you. I'm so new and can't seem to figure out how to do anything except run my mouth, or fingers....LOL. I encourage y'all to continue what you are doing as a family because there is no way you will ever regret it!!!! I wish more families followed your example but I'm afraid our world has gotten where everyone is just in too big a hurry. I do hope you find a "devotional" time with your family too. I'm afraid what happens is we let our children grow older before we realize how important that is and then it's just plain hard to do because welllllll, to put it honestly and bluntly, it feels "embarrassing". Why I can not figure out. But children learn from what they see and hear and experience.....and ohhhhhhhh if we adults could only truly grasp the impact we have on them. I just got in from wadical's mother's house and I'm soooo sleepy so I hope I'm making sense but I came on and I just had to tell you how uplifing your post has been to me.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home