Monday, August 28, 2006

Changing the Words of History

I received this today and wanted to share it:



SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

A MESSAGE FROM AN APPALLED OBSERVER:

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington , DC . I got an unexpected history lesson. Because I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, veterans of "the

greatest war," with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring words of Eisenhower and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor:

Yesterday, December 7, 1941-- a date which will live in infamy--the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked.

One elderly woman read the words aloud:
With confidence! in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph.

But as she read, she suddenly turned angry. "Wait a minute," she said, "they left out the end of the quote. They left out the most important part. Roosevelt ended the message

with "so help us God.'" Her husband said, "You are probably right. We're not supposed to say things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech." The two looked
dismayed, shook their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself, "Well, it has been over 50 years. She's probably forgotten." But she had not forgotten. She was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading --- "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about the battle at Iwo Jima . I haven't gotten too far in the book.

It's tough to read because it's a graphic description of the WWII battles in the Pacific.

But, right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt 's speech to the nation ends in "so help us God."

The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war. But they couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt 's words are engraved in their hearts.

Now I ask:



WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF HISTORY??

People need to know before everyone forgets. People today are trying to change the history of America by leaving God out of it, but the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since the beginning. He still wants to be... and He always will be!

5 Comments:

Blogger mysti said...

Hmmmmmm I just went and saw that same memorial. I wish I had known that at the time. I think I would have made a point of sharing that with my sons. You are right our History is being changed, and not in a good way. I am appalled that they would leave out the final words to such an important speech. Appalled but not surpised. I am not sure what the answers are, but maybe point out this very fact loudly and clearly.

Thank you for sharing this. Well worth knowing about and thinking it over.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

I well remember hearing a tape of that speech on programs and I well remember how he ended because he put so much emphasis on it. What I did not realize was that it had been left off the memorial. Amazing isn't it???

6:50 PM  
Blogger HotRodHanna said...

God is the cornerstone of this nation. "In God We Trust", "One nation under God", "endowed by our Creator", the list goes on. They made reference to him in nearly every one of the founding documents. The reason for coming to America was for religious freedom! The founding fathers believed in GOD and they came here so they would be able to express that freely, as they saw fit. It is frightening to see how far we have deteriorated as a nation.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Auntie D said...

I sooooooo agree with you hotrod!!!! It will be our downfall and it's so sad.

Some people (I will not label them because I KNOW it would offend misty LOL) but some people for some reason beleive they can be more loving, kind and good than God, therefore they are smarter than He and thus to be far and loving etc to one and all, we must accept all belief's which also means that as a Union our country must turn our backs on God. BIG MISTAKE. Which I will not debate because time will show.

But putting all that to the side, it is WRONG, just plan WRONG to change history or reword it or anything else. What are these people so afraid of??? Sorry, truth is truth, this country was founded on belief and trust in God. Now they want that changed and overlooked so EVERYONE can be more comfortable and accepted? And do you think it's being done openly so we can speak up, heck no!!!

I'm not sure what we can do but I know I have for a long while collected old history books back when I heard that they were changing facts in them for schools. I would suggest everyone who cares do the same.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

There is a list of all the inscriptions on the World War II Memorial on the official website at www.wwiimemorial.com. One of them is from Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech, but is not the portion quoted here.

According to the website, this is the inscription:

"DECEMBER 7, 1941, A DATE WHICH WILL LIVE IN INFAMY…NO
MATTER HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE US TO OVERCOME THIS
PREMEDITATED INVASION, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, IN THEIR
RIGHTEOUS MIGHT, WILL WIN THROUGH TO ABSOLUTE VICTORY."

The inscription uses the first phrase from Roosevelt's speech then jumps down several paragraphs and draws a sentence from a portion of the speech that does not have any connection to the expression "So help us God." That phrase is near the end of the speech in a paragraph that says, "With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God."

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home