Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Close Call

Someone sent this to me today and oh my word how I can relate. In my case it is work. How often I find myself loosing my patience at work!! But it could be anywhere such as in the line at a grocery store? It can come home to roost if you allow your temper to get the best of you.

Once again, there is no such thing as an unimportant act or word, because we touch people every second of the day.......will it be a good touch or bad?


MountainWings A MountainWings Moment
#6227 Wings Over The Mountains of Life
-------------------------------------------------

Close Call
==========

My job is in patio home sales, and quite often I encounter some
unpleasant people. Usually I can contain my contempt and put on
a happy face. Other times it can be more difficult to be civil
in the face of nastiness and outright rudeness.

I find that if someone comes into the beautiful model that I
show and they start picking it apart with disparaging comments,
I have a tendency to shut down. I take any offensive comment
about our lovely homes personally and start judging the customer
for having a foul attitude.

This past summer I dealt with a lady who recently lost her
husband and was looking to down-size and simplify her life by
purchasing a patio home. I worked with her over a period of
several weeks as she moaned and groaned trying to make
decisions. Each time she came to visit with me she brought her
two rambunctious grandchildren who made a point to run amok
through the model, jumping on beds, tossing pillows and
overflowing the water tank. I came so close to telling her that
I would refuse to work with her and her grandchildren and she
would need to visit without them in tow. I found myself falling
short on patience as her critical spirit harped about this thing
and that. It was with great relief that she cancelled her
reservation and did not follow through on a contract.

Last Saturday night Tom and I ventured out to church to attend
our Empower Adult Bible Fellowship class at Southeast Christian.
For some reason or another, the room was more tightly packed with
people than usual. During the course of introductions, two women
were welcomed as first time visitors. One looked very familiar.
I reached across the table to the class secretary and asked if
she remembered the name of the dark haired lady. She did. It
was my "difficult customer." My mind started thinking back to
the summer months when I struggled to overcome my disdain for
the lady and her grandchildren. I wondered if she would find my
presence in the classroom as much of an offense as I had found
my interaction with her on the purchase of a new home.

At the end of class I saw her making her way to my table. I
thought, "Oh, oh! Now I'm in for it!" She got to the table and
I smiled and said, "Well, hello!" She looked at me and said,
"Judy, the minute I saw that you were in this class I looked
over at my friend here and said, 'Well, seeing her here explains
why she was so patient with me.'"

I was speechless.

Later, as my husband and I drove home I told him, "That was a
close call, you know? It could have gone another way
completely. If I had said what I wanted to say to her, then she
would have been totally turned off to our church and our class."

I was reminded of the song I sang as a child, "O, be careful
little mouth what you say." And, I'm more mindful today than I
was, that my every action, my every word, my every gesture, can
be a catalyst to bring glory to God or to bring shame to His
name.

~A MountainWings Original by Judy Gerdis, Shelbyville, KY~

2 Comments:

Blogger HotRodHanna said...

"For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth unto himself." Romans 14:7

Whether we realize it or not, we effect the lives of the people around us. Thanks for that auntie d. Humbling.

2:45 PM  
Blogger mysti said...

Amazing how our actions effect others. Thank you for sharing.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home